Marquees for sale, party tents for sale & heavy duty marquees for sale | DIY Marquees

Tel: 01306 876767

>> event planning articles > How to connect your marquee to a house

How to connect your marquee to a house

There are usually two ways of connecting a marquee to a house:
i. butting the marquee directly up to the house so guests walk straight from one in to the other or
ii.using a walkway to connect the two together

Butting the marquee directly up to the house:

  • Usually only possible with doors from the house going in to the end rather than the side of a marquee. This is both from a weathering point of view (water will run off the sides rather than towards the entrance) and structural (the sides of a marquee have an eave rail that might obstruct the doors, the ends do not)
  • The marquee should be butted up as tightly as possible to the house (often to the overhanging guttering)
  • Leave the end panels off facing the house and use them instead on either side of the marquee filling up any gap between the corners of the marquee and the house. This will also leave any windows in the house looking straight in to the marquee which helps the atmosphere at the event.
  • It is nice but not essential to pull the scalloped edge of the roof facing the house up slightly for a neater finish and to keep heat in the marquee.

Using a walkway:

  • Our modular walkways can be used as 2x2m, 2x4m or 2x6m structures but equally a walkway can be improvised using wood or PVC.
  • If the event is being held both in the house and the marquee keep the walkway as short as possible to encourage flow between the two
  • Remember to allow for heating the walkway if required

We are always happy to offer more customised advice for your event, please contact us giving a few details of the event you are planning (type of event, space available, number of guests and diagrams/photographs of the site if possible) and we will be more than happy to advise on your options.

If you would like to use or quote any part of this article please contact us for permission or licencing.