>> event planning articles > Seasonal weather
Working outdoors as a marquee erector you become a little more conscious of the weather than most. As mentioned previously when helping to plan weddings I found it useful to take along a list of that years sunset times to help plan lighting etc.
In my experience (obviously this is purely my experience with no scientific facts to back it up) the year generally takes the following pattern:
- Jan & Feb – obviously cold. Allow for maximum heating at all times
- March – can be surprising and we often have 1 or 2 very good weeks (this year was a perfect example) so heating and wet weather planning is tricky
- April – showery albeit not usually as bad as this year
- May – events in early May are pushing their luck a bit, generally the weather is only reliably good by the end of the month (yes I’m aware this could come back to haunt me in 3 weeks time but I’m talking in general terms!)
- June & July – reliably (as far as British summers allow) good, heating unlikely
- August – can get surprisingly chilly later in the evening and we would often have heaters out just to take the chill off any non-dancing area
- September – we often get 1 or 2 weeks of really good weather mid-September but by the end the weather has usually dropped
- October & November – cold but not reliably so. The last 3 years at The Showmans Show (mid October) have been T-shirt wearing sunshine, then crowded round heaters and last year was rain. You can get anything.
- December – reliably cold
Why is this useful? Well if you’re doing a business plan and wondering about buying heaters you might consider getting enough heating for March/November weather but hiring in the extra heaters you need for winter. Why do it like this? Well this way your heaters could get used 6-8 months of the year but the extra ones needed to supplement these for winter would only be needed for 2-3 months (also the quietest marquee hire months). Hopefully I’ve explained what I mean but if not please let me know. :)
Thanks for reading
Marquee heaters for sale
Medium marquee heating package