Example site visit: Dave and Jenny's Garden
It has been suggested that I should give examples of site visits to show what you should be thinking of when planning a marquee function. This sounds a good idea to me but I should stress – I’m not saying that my ideas are the best and only solution. I’ll state what I’d do but if you asked another marquee company or even someone else from our company they might come up with other ideas.
So in one blog post I’ll give the layout of a garden with measurements and a brief overview of their requirements. The following post I’ll look at what suggestions I’d offer.
Dave & Jenny’s garden:
The layout above is Dave & Jenny’s garden. The house (in red) is at the bottom with a patio (in grey) in front. There are some flower beds to the left and some trees/bushes towards the rear.
Everything in the marquee world is done in squares and rectangles so all we’re really interested in are the limiting factors – that tree halfway down the garden is going to limit what we can fit in so we need the measurements based around that tree, together with the maximum widths and lengths available.
Remember the 3 stages of site visits:
- sit down with the potential customers and get an idea if what they’d like and especially what they dislike, what they’d like to avoid. Get an idea of guest numbers, whether it’s formal or informal and if they need a dance floor/bar/catering area
- go out and measure the garden
- go back inside and sit down to discuss their options (this is what I’ll cover in the next post)
Dave & Jenny’s requirements
After sitting down and discussing it with them we’ve gained the following information:
- It’s Dave’s 40th birthday party
- They are expecting 50-70 guests
- It will be an evening function at the end of June
- They want an informal atmosphere though there will be food and drink available
- They’re going to have a 4 piece band playing
- Guests will go round the side of the house (ie not through the house) to get to the marquee
That’s a typical amount of information you work with on a site visit, I’ll discuss my suggestions in 2 weeks (taking the kids to ‘sunny’ Wales next week)
Thanks for reading