>> event planning articles > Marquee heating tips
How big a dance floor do i need in my marquee?
A very common question. The way to work it out is to multiply the number of guests by 2.5 and that’s the square footage dance floor area you would typically need.
There are some caveats to add to that though:
- This assumes only around a half of guests would be dancing, if you know you have a more active than average group then go bigger.
- This does not include space for a Band or DJ -NEVER put them on the same surface (ie on the dance floor) as their equipment can jump around.
- Larger dance floors (or even a fully boarded marquee) may be needed for more active group style dances like a ceileih, callee, kaleigh, barn dance.
- Don’t get too hung up about the size of the dance floor, if it gets very busy then the dance floor is often just a starting point as people then dance just off it anyway.
- 60 guests = 150 square feet so typical size dance floors: 10x15ft, 12x12ft
- 100 guests = 250 square feet so typical size dance floors: 12x20ft, 16x16ft
- 160 guests = 400 square feet so typical size dance floor: 20x20ft
As always if in doubt just contact us and we’ll be more than happy to advise.
A new design of our website is being launched over the next 2 weeks so don’t be alarmed if you notice some changes -please let us know if you find any mistakes though!
Thanks for reading